With 195 countries in the world and 7,097 languages spoken in these countries, there exists a need for a common language to converse even within a country, let alone conversing with other countries. Without a language that could be spoken by one party and correctly understood by the other, a conversation dies. A language spoken and understood by both the parties is known as a ‘common language’ and a common language that is recognized all around the globe is known as a ‘universal language’. Today, English is getting a global acceptance as a universal language. Speaking fluent English has become a qualifying criterion for interviews in most countries. This article aims to aid every aspirant of fluent English-speaking.
Learning a universal language has enormous benefits; some of them are,
- Confidence to converse with anyone and everyone.
- Gives you an edge over other competitors.
- Helps you in developing a positive impression before the interviewers.
Speaking fluent English might seem like an impossible skill to acquire to some people but it can be a lot easier to learn that it seems if followed the below-mentioned instructions.
- Surrounding oneself with English: Read English newspaper, books, articles, novels to increase your vocabulary. Watch English movies and songs, this will help you in achieving correct pronunciation and effective conversation. Listening to English songs and watching movies in the same medium without subtitles will enhance your listening and grasping English abilities.
- Practice: Start conversing with people around you in English. Do not hesitate about being judged if you utter something wrong, learn from those mistakes instead. It’s good to commit mistakes while practicing; it helps you speak correctly in the interviews.
If you have an internet access then you can hire an online assistance for conversing or if you are friends with a native English speaker on social media, then you can ask for their help. No one can make you a fluent English speaker as fast as a native speaker.
- Write: Try to write something on your own. It improves grammar and guides in the correct usage of words. Even small paragraph writings can increase your learning progress rate effectively. Most of the interviewers also demand efficient writing skills along with fluency in speaking in their interns. So, developing ability in English writing can help you in desired job acquisition. A good content writer can also freelance his writings and make a decent earning from the same.
- Use: Inculcate a habit of using every new word learned while writing or conversing; failing in which, will lead to no longer retention of newly learned words in your memory. Simply mugging up the words with their meanings and not sufficient/ regular usage practice will land you nowhere.
Despite being highly skilled, some people get anxious and panicky during the interviews which lead to their disappointment. The following tips might be helpful in such scenarios, to restore your confidence and converse effectively.
- Mirror Technique: Practice for the interview in front of a mirror about how you’re going to answer. Speak about any topic or any probable question that you can think of for at least five minutes in a day. It increases your confidence while speaking English in the interviews.
- A Polite Greet: Always greet the interview panel members as soon as you enter the room. The greeting should be formal, polite and short. Extending it could waste unnecessary time and become the reason of your downfall.
- Avoid irrelevant explanations: Questions like ‘Why should we hire you?’ and ‘Tell us about yourself’, should be practiced before-hand. Prepare a time-bound balanced answer for these questions and practice them regularly till the day of your interview. Do not narrate a story, neither be too expressive. Find a balance in your facial expressions and voice modulations and answer in a professional, logical manner.
- Avoid faking an accent: Do not try to incorporate an accent while speaking English that would sound pretentious. By doing so you would not only make yourself a piece of mockery but also lose positive points from the interviewers.
- Keep calm: Do not get nervous if you cannot form an answer immediately. Answering in haste would make you fumble. Stay calm, analyze the question and then respond.
Remember, a beautiful pot is made from wet mud that cannot even hold its shape and a diamond does not become a treasure until it is carved. A pot gains its strength by being heated in bright sun for days and a diamond gains its lustrous glimmer by continuously being cut. Similarly, one cannot get up without falling and learn without working hard.